Nippon Paint was founded in 1881 as the
first paint manufacturer in Japan.
In the 130 plus years since then, we have built on
our technologies, broadened our network,
and expanded our business fields.
We not only create paints tailored to
our customers' needs but also offer high-quality
coating systems for effective paint application,
and surface treatments for adding functions to the
base material in the pre-coating process.
Today, the Nippon Paint Holdings Group contributes to various
fields of society as the only paint manufacturer in Japan
that provides paint and surface treatment solutions in one stop.
- Automotive coatings
- Our automotive paints combine high function with attractive design. We also develop paints for bumpers and plastic components.
- Trade-use paints
- Our trade-use paints are used widely from houses to bridges in the architectural and protective coating market. The products are designed to improve on-site productivity.
- Industrial coatings
- Our industrial-use paints target a broad range of products including construction machinery, farm machinery, exterior building materials, office equipment, and household electrical appliances.
- Marine Coatings
- Our paints for vessels prevent fouling caused by marine organisms and improve the ship's speed. The products are developed to help reduce fuel consumption.
- Surface treatments
- Our surface treatments give diverse materials added value with functions such as anti-corrosive, film adhesion, and improved durability.
Nippon Paint established a joint venture in Singapore in 1962, which would form the basis of our business in Asia today. In the half-century since, we continued to promote our business overseas and expanded our network to North America and Europe. Today we are working to strengthen our competitiveness and presence in the world.
Nippon paint operates a head office in Osaka and production bases, branches, and offices throughout Japan, where customers demand high quality and function, meticulous services, and a stable supply. The technologies and services established here promise to be a strength in overseas markets.
The Nippon Paint Holdings Group recognizes Asia—the substantial size and growth potential of the market—as the key to our global strategy. We have a strong presence in the huge market of China, where we boast the top share in the fields of architectural and DIY paints. With the recent boom in industrial products such as automobiles, we established development centers in China and Singapore as well as bases in developing countries including Bangladesh with an eye to further expanding our market share.
The Nippon Paint Holdings Group expanded into North America in the late 1980s, when Japanese automakers increased their presence in the market. We established Nippon Paint (USA) Inc. in 1990, and have bases in Canada and Mexico. In 2017 we acquired DUNN-EDWARDS CORPORATION, and work to expand architectural paint in the Americas, which was previously focused on automotive coatings.
Europe is as big a market as North America, and a competitive market where major Western paint makers spare no effort to win a larger share. The Nippon Paint Holdings Group established Nippon Paint (Europe) Ltd. in the UK in 1989. Today, with bases also in Germany and Turkey, we are expanding our field of business in Europe centering on automotive coatings.