- Products and Business
Release of “PROTECTON Interior Wall VK-500” Anti-viral / Anti-bacterial Interior Paint
March 12, 2021
Nippon Paint Holdings Co., Ltd.
Contact Person: Yukiko Yamamoto
General Manager of Public Relations
Release of “PROTECTON Interior Wall VK-500”
Anti-viral / Anti-bacterial Interior Paint
Nippon Paint Co., Ltd., a group company of Nippon Paint Holdings Co., Ltd. (Head office: Chuo-ku, Tokyo; Chairman, President & CEO: Masaaki Tanaka), which handles building paint, will start sales of “PROTECTON Interior Wall VK-500”, an antiviral and antibacterial paint for indoor walls, on Friday, March 12, 2021 in Japan.
This product is a shift from the anti-viral and anti-bacterial product “Perfect Interior Air Clean” which was launched previously, to the Nippon Paint Group’s anti-viral and anti-bacterial product brand “PROTECTON” series. The purpose of this shift is to deliver safety and security to the customers through a clear product line-up.
As an anti-viral and anti-bacterial water-based paint, “PROTECTON Interior Wall VK-500” contains a visible light-responsive photocatalyst, it reacts even to weak indoor lighting, such as fluorescent lighting and LED lighting, and inhibits viruses and bacteria on the paint film surface by 99.9%* or more.
In addition, “PROTECTON Interior Wall VK-500” has been certified by PIAJ (Photocatalyst Industry Association of Japan) as well as “Perfect Interior Air Clean”.
The Nippon Paint Group will expand the “PROTECTON series” with a wide range of anti-viral and anti-bacterial product lineup, not limited to paint, in order to deliver safety and security to our customers.
[Overview of the product]
Name: PROTECTON Interior Wall VK-500(Former name: Perfect Interior Air Clean)
Sold by: Nippon Paint Co., Ltd.
Release date: March 12, 2021
Properties: (1) Anti-viral and anti-bacterial (2) Deodorization and ultra-low odor
Sales route: Paint dealers and others (in Japan)
Product web page: https://www.nipponpaint.co.jp/products/building/270/
* Test results in accordance with JIS R 1756 and JIS Z 2801
• Antiviral property: One type of bacteriophage virus
Testing method: A culture solution of the virus is placed on the paint film surface.
The test surface is exposed to light for four hours. Efficacy: The virus was reduced by 99.9%.
• Antibacterial property: One type of gut microbiota
Testing method: A culture solution of the bacteria is placed on the paint film surface.
The test surface is exposed to light for eight hours. Efficacy: The bacteria were reduced by 99.9%.
* This will not guarantee effectiveness against all or specific viruses or bacteria.
* The paint does not suppress indoor airborne viruses or bacteria.
* The anti-viral and anti-bacterial performance will continue as long as the paint film is not damaged, peeling off, or excessively stained on its surface. Damaged paint film includes peeling of the paint film due to normal aging deterioration.
* The product is not designed for medical purposes, or show preventive or therapeutic effect against disease.
* The performance may vary depending on the shape of the object to be coated, the conditions of the base material, weather conditions, and construction conditions.
[Profile of Nippon Paint Co., Ltd.]
Head office: 4-7-16 Minamishinagawa, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo
Representative: Representative Director & President Masuo Kida
Business: Manufacture and sale of paints for buildings (houses, buildings, etc.), large structures (bridges, plants, etc.), and automobile repair.
Website URL: https://www.nipponpaint.co.jp/
[Profile of the PROTECTON brand]
PROTECTON is a paint technology brand offering new technology and value to add functions by harnessing proprietary cutting-edge technology derived from the Group’s paint and coating technology.
A paint technology brand that continues to evolve to protect people’s health and create a safe and pleasant future by achieving advanced anti-viral and anti-bacterial functions.