- 1881Komyosha is founded in Mita, Tokyo
- 1896Operations move to a new factory in Minami Shinagawa, Tokyo (the current Tokyo Office)
- 1897Patent is granted for the zinc oxide production method (Nippon Paint's first patent)
- 1898Company is incorporated and renamed Nippon Paint Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
Gavel motif is filed as a trademark
- 1911Patent is granted for anti-fouling paint for marine coatings
- 1920Main operations move to Osaka
- 1927Company is renamed Nippon Paint Co., Ltd.
- 1929Imperial envoy visits the Osaka Plant
- 1931Head office moves to Osaka
- 1933Nichiman Paint Co., Ltd. is established in Liaoning, China
- 1939Manchuria Nippon Paint Co., Ltd. is established
- 1940Taiwan Nippon Paint Co., Ltd. is established
- 1942North China Nippon Paint Co., Ltd. is established and plant is constructed in Tianjin
- 1945Osaka Plant is ruined by firebombs
- 1948Kozuchi-kai (society for appointed stores in Japan) is formed
- 1962Chiba Plant is completed
Pan Malaysia Paint Industries is established
(the current NIPPON PAINT (SINGAPORE) COMPANY PRIVATE LIMITED)
- 1965Nippon Liner Co., Ltd. is established
Technical tie-up is concluded with PPG Industries (USA)
- 1966Technical and business tie-up is concluded with Daihan Ink and Paint Manufacturing Co., Ltd. (South Korea)
- 1967Hiroshima Plant is completed
NIPPON PAINT (THAILAND) COMPANY LIMITED is established
NIPPON PAINT (M) SDN BHD is established
- 1968Research Center is completed in Neyagawa, Osaka
- 1970Aichi Plant is completed
- 1971Nippon Bee Chemical Co., Ltd. is established
- 1974Sales subsidiary is established in the Shikoku region
Asahi Solvent Kogyo Co., Ltd. joins the group
(the current AS Paint Co., Ltd.)
- 1975America Nippon Paint Co., Ltd. is established
- 1976Nippon Paint Philippines, Inc. is established
- 1977Business tie-up is concluded with International Paint (UK)
Sales subsidiary is established in the Tohoku region (the last of eight across Japan)
- 1981Nippon Paint celebrates its centennial
Meiji Memorial Building opens in Minami Shinagawa, Tokyo
Tochigi Plant is completed
- 1982Hofu Branch Plant is completed
- 1984Okayama Plant is completed
- 1989Nippon Paint (Europe) Ltd. is established in the UK
- 1990Nippon Paint celebrates its 110th anniversary
New head office building is completed
New corporate song is introduced
- 1992NIPPON PAINT (CHINA) COMPANY LIMITED is established
- 1993Fukuoka Plant is completed
Courtaulds Nippon Paint is established
- 1994Marine paint division is spun off to establish Nippe Marine Sales Co., Ltd.
(the current Nippon Paint Marine Coatings Co., Ltd.)
NIPPON PAINT (VIETNAM) CO., LTD. is established
Nippon Paint (Guangdong) Co., Ltd. is established in China
- 1995DIY paint division is spun off and merged with Nippe Home Paint to establish Nippe Home Products Co., Ltd.
- 1999Nippon Paint Industrial Coating Co., Ltd. is established
- 2001Eco Action 21 certification is acquired for environmental activities
Miyakojima Weathering Test Center is completed
- 2002Nippon Fine Coatings Inc. is established
"Guangzhou Nippon Paint Co., Ltd. is established in China"
- 2004Mitsui Kinzoku Paints & Chemicals Co., Ltd. joins the group
(the current Nippon Paint Anti-Corrosive Coatings Co., Ltd.)
Five regional sales companies are merged to establish Nippon Paint Hanbai Co., Ltd.
- 2006Nippon Paint (Chengdu) Co., Ltd. is established in China
Nippon Bee Chemical Co., Ltd. and Rohm and Haas Automotive Coatings (USA) are acquired
NB Coatings, Inc. is established in the USA
- 2007Nippon Paint (Thailand) Co., Ltd. is acquired as a subsidiary
- 2008ASIA INDUSTRIES, LTD. (Taiwan, China) is acquired as a subsidiary
(the current NIPPON PAINT COATING (TAIWAN) CO., LTD.)
Nipsea Chemical Co., Ltd. (South Korea) is acquired as a subsidiary
Nippon Paint Philippines, Inc. is acquired as a subsidiary
Nippon Paint (Tianjin) Co., Ltd. is established in China
- 2009Osaka Logistics Center is completed
- 2011AS Resin Co., Ltd. is established
NIPPON PAINT (BANGLADESH) PRIVATE LIMITED is established in Bangladesh
- 2012NIPPON PAINT LANKA (PRIVATE) LIMITED. is established in Sri Lanka
- 2013Nippon Paint (Kunming) Co., Ltd. is established in Yunnan, China
- 2014Nippon Paint is reorganized as a holding company
Company is renamed Nippon Paint Holdings Co., Ltd. and a new
company for business functions established as Nippon Paint Co., Ltd.
- 2015“Nippon Paint Co., Ltd.” (established on October 1, 2014) is split off into four separate companies by business segment and these four
companies are merged with some domestic subsidiaries related to respective businesses.
Nippon Paint Automotive Coatings Co., Ltd.
Nippon Paint Industrial Coatings Co., Ltd.
Nippon Paint Co., Ltd.
Nippon Paint Surf Chemicals Co., Ltd.
- 2016Bollig & Kemper GMBH & Co. KG (Germany) is acquired as a 100% subsidiary
- 2017DUNN-EDWARDS CORPORATION is acquired as a 100% subsidiary in the USA
- 2019BETEK BOYA VE KIMYA SANAYI ANONIM ŞIRKETI is acquired
DULUXGROUP LIMITED is acquired as a 100% subsidiary
- 2021The Joint venture companies in Asia between NIPPON PAINT HOLDINGS CO,.LTD and WUTHELAM HOLDINGS LTD and PT NIPSEA PAINT AND CHEMICALS in Indonesia are acquired as 100% subsidaries.