- 1881Komyosha is founded in Mita, Tokyo
- 1896Operations move to a new factory in Minami Shinagawa, Tokyo (the current Tokyo Office)
- 1897Patent is granted for the zinc oxide production method (Nippon Paint's first patent)
- 1911Patent is granted for anti-fouling paint for marine coatings
- 1927Company is renamed Nippon Paint Co., Ltd.
- 1931Head office moves to Osaka
- 1948Kozuchi-kai (society for appointed stores in Japan) is formed
- 1962Chiba Plant is completed
Pan Malaysia Paint Industries is established
(the current NIPPON PAINT (SINGAPORE) COMPANY PRIVATE LIMITED)
- 1967Hiroshima Plant is completed
NIPPON PAINT (THAILAND) COMPANY LIMITED is established
NIPPON PAINT (M) SDN BHD is established
- 1968Research Center is completed in Neyagawa, Osaka
- 1970Aichi Plant is completed
- 1971Nippon Bee Chemical Co., Ltd. is established
- 1975America Nippon Paint Co., Ltd. is established
- 1981Nippon Paint celebrates its centennial
Meiji Memorial Building opens in Minami Shinagawa, Tokyo
Tochigi Plant is completed
- 1984Okayama Plant is completed
- 1989Nippon Paint (Europe) Ltd. is established in the UK
- 1992NIPPON PAINT (CHINA) COMPANY LIMITED is established
- 1995DIY paint division is spun off and merged with Nippe Home Paint to establish Nippe Home Products Co., Ltd.
- 1999Nippon Paint Industrial Coating Co., Ltd. is established
- 2004Mitsui Kinzoku Paints & Chemicals Co., Ltd. joins the group
(the current Nippon Paint Anti-Corrosive Coatings Co., Ltd.)
Five regional sales companies are merged to establish Nippon Paint Hanbai Co., Ltd.
- 2014Nippon Paint is reorganized as a holding company
Company is renamed Nippon Paint Holdings Co., Ltd. and a new company for business functions established as Nippon Paint Co., Ltd.
- 2015“Nippon Paint Co., Ltd.” (established on October 1, 2014) is split off
into four separate companies by business segment and these four
companies are merged with some domestic subsidiaries related to respective businesses.
Nippon Paint Automotive Coatings Co., Ltd.
Nippon Paint Industrial Coatings Co., Ltd.
Nippon Paint Co., Ltd.
Nippon Paint Surf Chemicals Co., Ltd.
- 2016Bollig & Kemper GMBH & Co. KG (Germany) is acquired as a 100% subsidiary
- 2017DUNN-EDWARDS CORPORATION is acquired as a 100% subsidiary in the USA
- 2019BETEK BOYA VE KIMYA SANAYI ANONIM ŞIRKETI is acquired
DULUXGROUP LIMITED is acquired as a 100% subsidiary